Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Busy day

Today's been really busy. In the morning we had a workshop on cross-cultural communication and education. Then we met our university representatives. Our host  at the Appalachian State University is Jesse Lutabingwa. He's nice and friendly and has a really good sense of humor (you see, I'm already using American spelling). Thanks to him I got a TEA water bottle in the evening as he drew my name from a box of bingo cards.


In the afternoon we had a chance to learn more about the U.S. education system. It was interesting to see how they're using student-centered methods all the time. Then we prepared posters about our countries for the poster fair that took place in the evening. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to study the posters other countries had made as we had to go and have dinner.

That's our poster about Estonia.



Now I'm back in my room. Daniela is going to talk to her daughter and I'm mulling over the things I heard and saw today. Some of the people here are from really exotic countries like Ghana, Rwanda, Bangladesh, Thailand and Cambodia. Talking to them makes you think that the world is just huge and full of diverse people and cultures.


Me and my roommate Daniela from Bulgaria


Kristi and me and the teachers from Rwanda (and some other lady who decided she wanted to join us).
Tomorrow we're going to have four different workshops on innovative teaching methods and cultural diplomacy in the morning and in the afternoon there's a bus tour in the city and a free evening.
OK, going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment