Friday, September 23, 2011

Heading for Boone



Everything's big in America :)

Good morning! It's 6.20 am in Washington and I'm already awake because my roommate had to get up at 5 to check out and start heading for her university. I'm lucky though as our check-out is at 9. So before I start packing and have breakfast I'll write about yesterday.

In the morning we had three workshops. Then we had lunch and went on a bus tour in Washington. I saw the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials, the Washington Monument, Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, the White House and the U.S. Capitol.


Lincoln Memorial

Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
In front of the White House

A guy in the park in front of the White House


An old woman and a squirrel protesting in front of the White House


The most impressive building - U.S. Capitol


After the sightseeing tour we were given some free time and we spent time in Union Station, Washington's main rail terminal which is full of shops and restaurants. We found a Johnny Rocket's burger restaurant and had a burger and a Strawberry shake.


 In front of the Union Station.

It was great to see all the places I've only read about in books. But you can see huge contrasts in Washington. Although there are all these fancy buildings, you can see homeless people sleeping on park benches or even on the sidewalk. It can also be noticed that security and protection is a big issue here as there are policemen everywhere.

Need to start packing now. Next time I'm going to write in Boone, North Carolina.












No comments:

Post a Comment